[dm-devel] New disk under /dev/mapper control??

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Tue Apr 10 05:25:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 04:29:26PM -0500, Paul Tader wrote:
>I've added a new, single IDE disk to a system.  I've run though fdisk,
It does not look "new" to me...

>mkfs and then attempted a mount command but mount failed with "already
>mounted or /mnt/ busy".  I see that now device-mapper is "claiming" this
>disk and newly created partitions and doesn't allow me to mount the
>partitions by addressing the /dev/hdb1 device file. In other words,
>/dev/mapper files are being automatically created only for this (new)
>disk.  Is there a way to have device-mapper relinquish control of this
>disk?
it is not device mapper, but dmraid
i believe your ide disk was 'touched' by a promise fakeraid controller.
your init scripts probably call dmraid during boot and finding a promise
fakeraid metadata on the disk dmraid activates it.

>I've tried removing and clearing the devices with dmsetup, all to no avail.
you could try removing the fakeraid metadata with dmraid -E.
if the promise fakeraid adapter is installed in your PC you might have
to disable fakeraid in the bios first.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.