[dm-devel] dm-rdac not working?

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 27 21:26:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 23:01 +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Chandra Seetharaman
>
> > tur checker just sends a test unit ready to see if the path is good.
> > Whereas rdac sends a c9 page inquiry and determines the state of the
> > path.
>
>    Okay.  I'm not really sure if I understand what practical difference
>   there is between the two, though...  The TUR check seems to fail like
>   it's supposed to if the path goes bad.

In RDAC mode, tur will always fail on the passive path. You do not see
that ?

> > That is true. But, I am wondering if what you have is based on the
> > LSI Engenio based controller (and hence the controller does not
> > understand the MODE_SELECT command).
>
>    It's an Engenio 3994 that came with a sticker on it that says Sun
>   StorageTek 6140.
>
> > What mode do you have your storage device configured in ? rdac or AVT
> > ?
>
>    Host-type "Linux", which means RDAC (AVT is mostly unusable for
>   clusters because of all the unwanted volume transfers it causes).  It's
>   supposed to be used with LSI's RDAC 09.01.B2.xx driver, but that one
>   doesn't work with recent kernels unfortunately.
>
> > Where did you get mpath_prio_rdac from ?
> >
> > In 0.4.7 you could use mpath_prio_tpc instead (it behaves exactly as
> > mpath_prio_rdac in 0.4.8).
>
>    I got it from the 0.4.8 sources - mpath_prio_tpc complained a lot
>   about AVT mode being disabled, which screwed up my multipath -ll output
>   so I just got the new version instead.

You mean mpath_prio_tpc from 0.4.7 ? I use it all the time in both RDAC
and AVT mode with no issues.

> > Can you apply the attached debug patch, repeat your test and send me
> > the log.
>
>    Sure, but I think you forgot to actually attach the patch... (Happens
>   to me too all the time!)

oops :)... attached

> Regards

    Chandra Seetharaman               | Be careful what you choose....
              - sekharan at us.ibm.com   |      .......you may get it.