[dm-devel] Re: [2.6.23 PATCH 14/18] dm: netlink add to core

Mike Anderson andmike at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 12 23:41:59 UTC 2007

Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:
> As for worry about kmallocs do these events happen often?
The worst case would most likely be in a dm multipath configuration where
you could get a burst of N number events (N being equal to the number of
luns times the number of paths that are having an issue).

> I would
> not expect any of them in the normal course of operation for a system.

Yes, the ones that are part of this patch are unexpected events or
recovery of the unexpected event.

> Worst case you handle extra kmallocs with a library function.
> It's not like you are using GFP_ATOMIC.

I was using GFP_ATOMIC as I did not want __GFP_IO as in some testing there
was a case where heavy file system IO was going on and an injected error
event caused the swap device into a temporary queued condition while an
event was trying to be sent. I may need to go back and investigate this
case on recent kernels as it has been a while since I did the test case.

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson
andmike at us.ibm.com