[dm-devel] Help with writing dm hardware handler

DJ dancelicious at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 19:55:26 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am writing a hardware handler for dm multipath support, but I am getting
the following error everytime.

"kernel: device-mapper: table: 253:0: multipath: unknown hardware handler
type"

My module name is dm-smaple.ko (which shows as dm_smaple in lsmod), code
name is dm-sample.c and the in code the module name I am specifying is
"sample".
I have also modified the multipath.conf to have the following entry:

hardware_handler "1 sample"

Could someone please let me know what am I doing wrong here?
If needed I can paste the code here.

Thanks in advance.
DJ.