[dm-devel] Status of resizing/growing dm-multipath devices on the fly

Andrew Patterson andrew.patterson at hp.com
Wed Aug 6 20:58:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:36 -0700, Mike Anderson wrote:
> Pasi K?rkk?inen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:

> > > Nowadays all disk-arrays make online LUN extension a breeze but
> > > unfortunately it seems that dm-multipath is still not able to see new size
> > > without downtime:
> > >  http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2007-August/msg00205.html
> > > Look also at this recent thread on RHEL5 mailing-list where you can find
> > > also a post from a Red Hat representative:
> > >  http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2008-July/msg00267.html
> > >
> > > Sure, you can just add a new LUN, pvcreate and vgextend but it is not a
> > > viable solution because it causes LUN proliferation.
> > >
> > > Sincerely, I'm still subscribed to this mailing-list only to see if someone
> > > solve this SHAME!
> > > It's a feature that Linux really needs.
> > >
> > > Hope someone pick this cry of pain!
> > >

> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Does someone know what's the actual problem in this? meaning why it hasn't
> > been done yet..
>
> It has to do with the block layer not using the new size value while there
> are openers.
>
> Andrew submitted a patch series (url below) a while ago to try and address
> this issue, but I do not know the status. I added Andrew to the cc.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.scsi/41623

The above patchset works with SCSI devices. I have tested it with single
SCSI devices under dm/LVM, i.e., a PV is on a single SCSI LUN with only
one path to it. It has not yet been accepted upstream due to not getting
sign-off from Al Viro. I plan on resubmitting soon to add cciss support.
Hopefully Al will getting around to reviewing it sometime this century.
I have heard rumors that Al has some all-encompassing solution for this
problem but hasn't got around to implementing it.  I'll test my new
patches with multi-path while I am at it.

Andrew