[dm-devel] Installing RHEL with single controller

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 28 21:36:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 12:11 -0800, malahal at us.ibm.com wrote:
> Pradipmaya Maharana [pradipmaya at gmail.com] wrote:
> > Multipath is getting loaded, if that is what you are wondering about.
> > After reboot I check for multipathd status, and smod for the modules
> > loaded, everything looks fine.
>
> No, I am asking if initrd image contains multipath commands. You need to
> use cpio to extract the initrd image and see the source code to check
> it!
>
> multipath has to be loaded and *run* before mounting your real root. If
> it gets loaded after  mounting your real root, it is too late to have
> multipath on root disk! Looks like you need to regenerate initrd with
> multpath support.

Yes, Malahal is right. You need to create initrd with multipath tools.
You can do this by running mkinitrd with "--with=dm-multipath"
(Follow the SLES10 installation instructions in my documentation
http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2/wiki/MultipathUsageGuide )

> --Malahal.
>
> --

    Chandra Seetharaman               | Be careful what you choose....
              - sekharan at us.ibm.com   |      .......you may get it.