[dm-devel] Multipath not rebuilding correctly on reboot

Greene, Rick rick.greene at ncogroup.com
Thu Jan 31 20:20:04 UTC 2008

Now that I seem to have multipath and my XP 1024 working together, I've
found a new issue.  Someone recently had a similar thread going, but I
saw no ultimate resolution.

My problem is that when I reboot my server, the multipath configuration
is not coming back the way it was before.  I moved the two external
tools I use to find the UID into /etc (they had bin in /usr/bin and
/sbin), updated the multipath.conf file (and one of the scripts) to
reflect this, but odd things are still happening.

Attached is initial_view.txt, which shows what multipath is coming up
with when I do the commands shown (the bulk of the file is multipath -v3
output, but at the bottom of the file is a multipath -ll output as
well).  It (seems to) correctly shows that I have 4 disks, each visible
via two separate paths.

After I reboot, however, I get different results.  Once it showed 4
paths for mpath0, and 2 paths for mpath1, 2, and 3.  Next time it
correctly showed mpath0, mpath1, and mpath3, but didn't show mpath2 at
all.  On the next attempt I got everything correct, and the very next
one only showed mpath0 and mpath1.

The post_reboot.txt file shows the contents of the /var/log/boot.log
file and the output of the dmesg command, along with the "multipath -ll"
view from the most recent reboot.

I then manually did a "multipath -v2" and the missing two paths then
came back.  The file manual_run.txt shows those results plus the updated
"multipath -ll".

Do I need to just make my own /etc/init.d script to do a "multipath -v2"
at the end of booting to make sure it all gets covered, along with the
requisite LVM & mount commands to get the VG that is on these disks
working right?

Thanks in advance,
Rick