[dm-devel] qla4xxx & "device-mapper: table: 253:0: multipath: error getting device" error

Hi,

I'm on my second atempt to configure iSCSI (Dell EqualLogic PS5000XV) on linux (CentOS 5.1 x86_64). The first ended in a total caos and kernel panic I didn't manage to recover from. No biggie, since it's a new server (actually will be two identical running a cluster with iSCSI as shared storage).

I've got a dualport QLogic iSCSI HBA QLE4062C card. I am trying to configure my server to use multipath to the EqualLogic, but i'm not confident it's safe to put it in production since I get this error in my message log (dmesg) when what I believe is correct configuration gives me lots of these:

device-mapper: table: 253:0: multipath: error getting device
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table

First I used the drivers from QLogic and thought it was a bug in the driver, but after I removed them the system loaded the kernel provided qla4xxx driver and the error still showed in my log.

Is this a but in device-mapper-multipath or is it my config?

For more info on this, see my open-iscsi post on google groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/open-iscsi/browse_thread/thread/8bf139d774eab658

I posted there first, but ppl in the group told me to go to dm-devel.

/Christopher