[dm-devel] NetBSD libdevmapper port

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 17:34:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:51:48PM -0400, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> This suspend thing was a big misdesign and if you are writing it from
> scratch, try to avoid it.

Despite how things might seem, we gained some substantial
simplifications by doing things this way and I reject the term
'misdesign':-)  If writing this from scratch under similar time
constraints, we would still handle this a similar way.

But this suspend/resume mechanism was never intended to last as long as
it has - it was meant to be a stepping stone to a more-sophisticated
transaction mechanism that we have still not found time to develop,
mostly because this existing mechanism is "good enough" most of the
time.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com