[dm-devel] Re: Problem w/ CONFIG_DEBUG_BLOCK_EXT_DEVT

Tejun Heo tj at kernel.org
Tue Sep 2 12:23:13 UTC 2008

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 01:06:24PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> Well, dev_t is 32bits and MINORBITS is 20.  So, major 12 bits, minor 20
>> bits, so 4 characters for major, 7 characters for minor.
>
> Upstream libdevmapper CVS patched - will appear in next release (1.02.28).

Alright, thanks.  What about the /proc/devices one?  Would adding an
entry help?  I'm kind of lost /proc/devices.  It's now mostly
non-functional legacy stuff we've been carrying around.  Is it
deprecated or do we intend to keep it around forever?

Ooh.. which also reminds me that I forgot to reserve the major number w/
lanana.  Will do that.

Thanks.

--
tejun