[dm-devel] Trying to blacklist a USB memory stick

Konrad Rzeszutek konrad at virtualiron.com
Tue Sep 30 14:23:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:47:34PM +0200, Harald_Jensas at Dell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just subscribed to the list, I am an enterprise deployment engineer at Dell and do frequently work with device-mapper-multipath. A few weeks back I configured the SAN storage for 4 RHEL 5 servers that will be an Oracle RAC cluster. Now the customer plugged an USB key into 2 of the systems, and he noticed that device-mapper-multipath creates a device and adds a binding to /var/lib/multipath/bindings.

You can also edit the udev rules (or add a new one) that will make your USB devices be ignored by
multipath daemon. This will effectivly ignore _any_ USB device.

Look for example for 40-redhat.rules and 'man udev' on how to configure your own rules.

Here is an example where the linear maps don't ever get to the multipathd daemon:

#Weed out the linear map.
KERNEL=="dm-*", PROGRAM=="/sbin/dmsetup table -j %M -m %m", RESULT=="*linear*", OPTIONS="last_rule"

# And block devices that come from usb:
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd*", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", OPTIONS="last_rule"

This of course being before the, catch-it-all rule:

RUN+="socket:/org/kernel/dm/multipath_event"