[dm-devel] Re: dm-ioband: Test results.

Nauman Rafique nauman at google.com
Thu Apr 16 20:25:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:47:50AM +0900, Ryo Tsuruta wrote:
>> Hi Vivek,
>>
>> > General thoughts about dm-ioband
>> > ================================
>> > - Implementing control at second level has the advantage tha one does not
>> >   have to muck with IO scheduler code. But then it also has the
>> >   disadvantage that there is no communication with IO scheduler.
>> >
>> > - dm-ioband is buffering bio at higher layer and then doing FIFO release
>> >   of these bios. This FIFO release can lead to priority inversion problems
>> >   in certain cases where RT requests are way behind BE requests or
>> >   reader starvation where reader bios are getting hidden behind writer
>> >   bios etc. These are hard to notice issues in user space. I guess above
>> >   RT results do highlight the RT task problems. I am still working on
>> >   other test cases and see if i can show the probelm.

Ryo, I could not agree more with Vivek here. At Google, we have very
stringent requirement for latency of our RT requests. If RT requests
get queued in any higher layer (behind BE requests), all bets are off.
I don't find doing IO control at two layer for this particular reason.
The upper layer (dm-ioband in this case) would have to make sure that
RT requests are released immediately, irrespective of the state (FIFO
queuing and tokens held). And the lower layer (IO scheduling layer)
has to do the same. This requirement is not specific to us. I have
seen similar comments from filesystem folks here previously, in the
context of metadata updates being submitted as RT. Basically, the
semantics of RT class has to be preserved by any solution that is
build on top of CFQ scheduler.