[dm-devel] Re: Why does __do_page_cache_readahead submit READ, not READA?

Jens Axboe jens.axboe at oracle.com
Mon Aug 3 21:03:11 UTC 2009

(not sure why your mailer stripped me from the CC?)

On Mon, Aug 03 2009, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 09:59 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > Another consideration is io-priority reversion and the overheads
> > > required to avoid it:
> > >
> > >         readahead(pages A-Z)    => READA IO for pages A-Z
> > >         <short time later>
> > >         read(page A) => blocked => find the request that contains page A
> > >                                    and requeue/kick it as READ IO
> > >
> > > The page-to-request lookups are not always required but nevertheless
> > > the complexity and overheads won't be trivial.
> > >
> > > The page-to-request lookup feature would be also useful for "advanced"
> > > features like io-canceling (if implemented, hwpoison could be its
> > > first user ;)
> >
> > I added that 3-4 years ago or so, to experiment with in-kernel
> > cancellation for things like truncate(). Tracking pages is not cheap,
> > and since the write cancelling wasn't really very sucessful, I didn't go
> > ahead with it.
>
> Cancellation also came up several years ago with aio, which also has
> requirements for it.

Are they any real-world use cases for cancellation with aio?

> > So I'm not sure it's a viable alternative, even if we restricted it to
> > just tracking READA's, for instance.
> >
> > But I don't think we have any priority inversion to worry about, at
> > least not from the CFQ perspective.
>
> The basic problem with cancellation when implemented at the storage
> layer is that its an unusual operation.  The storage primitives which
> implement it aren't often invoked, so there's a lot of wariness to
> implementing them in practice.  For example, although SCSI has the abort
> function, it's not implemented by a lot of controllers, so we'd have to
> drop all pending I/O on the floor with a reset and then try and pick up
> the pieces we wanted.  Also, cancellation is racy since you never quite
> know if the I/O hit the storage or not.
>
> On the back of this, we thought in 2003 or so that the best way to
> implement cancellation was simply to do nothing and have something wait
> around for the completion and throw it away.  This has exactly the same
> properties as storage implemented cancellation, but the benefit is that
> we don't have to perturb the storage stack to do it.

The approach I took (and exactly for the reasons you outline I think
it's the only feasible one) is to allow cancellations of unstarted IO
only. I can just imagine the pandora box we would open if we where to do
this at the hardware/device level as well, so just chose not to go that
far.

--
Jens Axboe