Re: [dm-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 3.0 - A tool for managing Soft RAID under Linux

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 10:26 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Heinz Mauelshagen <heinzm redhat com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 13:56 +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> >> As for integrating the two code bases.... people have been suggesting
> >> that for years, but I suspect few of them have looked deeply at the
> >> practicalities.  Apparently it was suggested at the recent "storage
> >> summit".  However as the primary md and dm developers were absent, I
> >> have doubts about how truly well-informed that conversation could have
> >> been.
> >
> > Agreed, we'd need face-time and talk issues through in order to come up
> > with any such plan for md+dm integration.
> >

> What are your general impressions of dmraid using md kernel
> infrastructure for raid level support?

At the time of the dmraid project start, we already had libdevmapper
which was suitable to handle in-kernel device manipulation with no
adequate on the MD side so it was the appropriate interface to use.

Cheers,
Heinz