[dm-devel] Re: A simple, generic DM-API, for codecs/transcoders to use?

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Mon Jun 22 23:13:48 UTC 2009

http://static.danplanet.com/dm-userspace/

> In case you are interested in the reasons: Modern consumer HDDs do not
> have any ECC, but they get less and less reliable.

I don't think this is correct. All disks use ECC; cheap disks just don't
use strong enough ECC. 4K sectors may fix this in the distant future.

> So I decided to put my whole archive on a partititon with software-based
> ECC. And because I could not find something that resembled this, I chose
> to implement it myself.

Honestly I would use RAID + Btrfs instead of software ECC. But if you're
determined to go down this path, you may want to investigate LDPC
instead of RS.

Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org