[dm-devel] REQUEST for new 'topology' metrics to be moved out of the 'queue' sysfs directory.

Martin K. Petersen martin.petersen at oracle.com
Thu Jun 25 17:43:23 UTC 2009

>>>>> "John" == John Robinson <john.robinson at anonymous.org.uk> writes:

John> Even sadder, when a raid 0/4/5/6 is reshaped over more discs (and
John> probably other scenarios outwith md),

I'm not sure I agree with the whole "sad" sentiment.  Just because
ext[234] doesn't query devices automatically doesn't mean the technology
doesn't exist.  I wrote the MD/LVM extraction code for XFS in 2001.

John> both stripe-width and stride-size change. Is there any prospect
John> this new stacking could give us the opportunity to tell our client
John> (LVM, filesystem, whatever) about the change, or that they'll be
John> able to take advantage of it?

When you resize the fs it would have to compare the new topology to the
old one and adjust accordingly.