[dm-devel] Re: 2.6.27.14: BUG: lock held when returning to user space!

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Wed Mar 4 17:28:58 UTC 2009

> > > Do recent kernels still say this?
> >
> >   I'd say so. We really hold j_barrier mutex when leaving the kernel
> > after FIFREEZE ioctl (the call path goes as freeze_bdev -> ext3_freeze
> > -> journal_lock_updates) until FITHAW is called. As far as I know it was
> > designed this way...
> >   It would be a pity to completely exclude j_barrier mutex from lockdep
> > control so would it be possible to mark the mutex (or even that
> > particular acquisition of the mutex) so that lockdep does not warn when
> > we return with it to userspace?
>
> Linus specificly stated that we are not to keep locks held when
> returning to userspace:
>
>   http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/27/135
>
> So sure, we could annotate this, but no I won't until you can convince
> both me and Linus that its a sane thing to do.
  I didn't write the code ;). I was just informing how the things are. I agree
it's not a nice thing to do. Hmm, looking at the code, it uses a special
semaphore bd_mount_sem while mutex seems to be enough. Digging in git...
ah, exactly so that lockdep does not complain about it. Ugh. Also
the comment before freeze_bdev() says something about taking s_umount while
it does not take it. That code really seems to need some cleaning...

> The problems include: how can you be sure its the same task calling the
> completing ioctl?
  Yeah, I understand the problems.

									Honza
--