[dm-devel] Re: [RFC] New Logging approach for Device Mapper

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Sat Sep 5 23:33:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 12:36:02AM +0530, Chauhan, Vijay wrote:
> Each logging type is represented with 2 bits in dm_logging_level. Following are the logging types currently defined :

Does that mean there's a limit we'll soon exceed?

> Sep  5 18:32:02 localhost kernel: device-mapper: core: DEBUG: dm_resume: Unsetting DMF_SUSPENDED flag for 253:1

I was hoping the next extension to the macro code would somehow add info
like '253:1' (and maybe corresponding device name) automatically to
every message related to a device.

But do we really need this level of runtime debugging configurability?
I can't say I've come across problems where I'd have needed it: Can
anyone else offer examples where it would have helped them?

Alasdair