[dm-devel] semop failed for cookie?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Apr 27 20:56:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a user of an installation tool of mine that is hitting this
message, with a very recent pre-fedora-13 kernel.

zyx-liveinstaller-cli: creating temporary rootfs virtual duplicate
device-mapper: resume ioctl failed: Invalid argument
semid 65536: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d423c: incorrect semaphore state
Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore identified by
cookie value 223167036 (0xd4d423c) to initialize waiting for incoming
notifications.
Command failed
zyx-liveinstaller-cli: error: failed to create temporary rootfs virtual
duplicate

The error is happening at line 742 in this monster bash script (which
I'm pretty sure does work on f11 and f12)

http://filteredperception.org/dawg/projects/zyx-liveinstaller/src/zyx-liveinstaller-latest/rli/zyx-liveinstaller-cli.html

http://filteredperception.org/dawg/projects/zyx-liveinstaller

Now, I've already urged the sugar on a stick project to primarily pursue
the path of the standard fedora livecd/usb installer, for many
additional reasons.  But, I guess I would still like my rebootless
installer to actually work.  And this may be one of those great corner
case issues that developers love.  I.e. a very obscure tickling of some
code path.  Or maybe I'm just being too lazy to read the accompanying
dmsetup man page for some clue as to what I should be doing when I see
such a bizarre error message.  Or, some other bug in the script is
causing the arguments to become malformed.  Still, the crypticness of
the message from devicemapper suggests something you folks might want to
improve.  In any event, FWIW, there it is...

-dmc