Re: [dm-devel] RHEL 5.4 multipath doesn't handle virtio block devices

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:07:02 +0900, Kiyoshi Ueda <k-ueda ct jp nec com>
wrote:

> Why do you want to use dm-multipath on virtio block devices?

For consistency rather than failover...  :-)

I'm using virtual machines to test a clustered NAS environment.  The
production setup expects to see dm devices from dm-multipath.  So I'm
using dm-multipath on virtio block devices to simulate use of
dm-multipath in a SAN environment.

The RHEL 5.4 version of KVM doesn't contain a SCSI emulation, so the
only 2 choices for large numbers of block devices are virtio and
iSCSI.  I'm trying to keep my options open for both of these.

The fix for virtio block devices seems quite straightforward, so I
thought I would propose it.  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin