[dm-devel] RHEL 5.4 multipath doesn't handle virtio block devices

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Tue Mar 30 07:16:10 UTC 2010

Martin Schwenke wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:07:02 +0900, Kiyoshi Ueda <k-ueda at ct.jp.nec.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why do you want to use dm-multipath on virtio block devices?
>
> For consistency rather than failover...  :-)
>
> I'm using virtual machines to test a clustered NAS environment.  The
> production setup expects to see dm devices from dm-multipath.  So I'm
> using dm-multipath on virtio block devices to simulate use of
> dm-multipath in a SAN environment.

megasas megasas megasas ...
I posted a megasas HBA emulation for KVM a while back.
Would solve your problem rather elegantly.
But then you'd have to recompile KVM, at which point you could include
the SCSI emulation as well ...

> The RHEL 5.4 version of KVM doesn't contain a SCSI emulation, so the
> only 2 choices for large numbers of block devices are virtio and
> iSCSI.  I'm trying to keep my options open for both of these.
>
> The fix for virtio block devices seems quite straightforward, so I
> thought I would propose it.  :-)

Problem is, though, that you don't have a unique ID for virtio devices.
EG scsi_id and friends don't work here.
And AFAIR there is no feature flag which would allow you do set one.

How do you distinguish between, say, 2 virtio devices across 2 paths?

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)