Re: [dm-devel] add devname module aliases to allow module on-demand auto-loading

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:51:49PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 20:23, Alasdair G Kergon <agk redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 03:55:21PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>> On my box without this patch:
>>   dmsetup version
>>   Library version:   1.02.42 (2010-01-14)
>>   /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
>>   Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
>>   Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.

(Curiously this is not an issue I remember anyone raising with me as a problem
before.)
I am fairly sure i did report that, i even tried moving the module
sucked too much to submit, the idea was to load device-mapper module,
and all target modules on first use.

Because distros go the easy and stupid way and just load everything
they configured as a module. :) That is something to solve, or at
least avoid and hide a bit.
In this case we were forced to preload dm-mod to work around the issue
;)

I think its all covered with this patch. :) But if yo have any better
idea, let us know.

what patch?

L.
--