[dm-devel] Soft lockup during suspend since ~2.6.36 [bisected]

Tejun Heo tj at kernel.org
Fri Apr 29 16:00:39 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 01:56:46AM +0200, Thilo-Alexander Ginkel wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:30, Tejun Heo <tj at kernel.org> wrote:
> > Does your kernel have preemption enabled?
>
> CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
>
> > If not, does the following patch fix the problem?
>
> Yep, looks good so far (at least in my virtualized test environment):
> 2.6.39-rc4 with your patch applied survived 100 suspend/resume cycles
> w/o locking up.

Awesome, I'll forward the patch to mainline and -stable.

> Just out of curiosity: Was this a new issue in 2.6.39-rc4 ord could
> this fix be backported to 2.6.38?

This needs to be backported.  It's an issue which has been there from
the initial implementation of cmwq.  It needs non-preemptive kernel
and rescuer kicking in at a very bad timing, so not many people seem
to have been affected by this.  Your setup somehow triggers it
reliably.

Thank you.

--
tejun