Re: [dm-devel] Native systemd service files for multipathd

On 08/22/2011 03:47 PM, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
On jeu., 2011-06-30 at 14:10 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
script to native systemd unit file?

I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.

What is the status of this request ? Has anyone stepped-in to the job ?
If not I'll look into it. If you have Fedora-specific systemd
implementation guideline, please point me to the appropriate
documentation.

I have talked with Kay & Lennart about this.

The main problem here is that we don't / can't know if a device is multipathed or not; this is basically a policy decision. Even a simple switch (multipath on/off) wouldn't suffice here, as this particular device might be excluded via the configuration file.

Idea here is to modify the 'multipath' program to determine if a particular device is handled by multipath or not. If so, _no other_ configuration must be done in that device. The multipathd daemon itself already listens on events from the udev socket; it should be pretty trivial to convert that to socket activation.

And, of course, we need to solve the mount problem. Last I've heard was that systemd _won't_ be handling mounting, which in effect means we cannot mount any systems provided via multipath ...

What is the status here?

Cheers,

Hannes
hare suse de			      +49 911 74053 688