Re: [dm-devel] What is the deal with the partition separator?

On 11-02-17 08:13 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
So whichever way you proceed, you should avoid using a naming scheme
which resembles the linux one.

From my perspective as a maintainer of partitioning software it would be nice if given the device name and partition number I could easily determine the partition name.

Unfortunately this is not easily done when there are deviations from the linux model ("insert a 'p' between the device name and the partition number when the device name ends in a number").

Each deviation from the linux partition naming model results in more code to handle the deviation, and a corresponding increased number of test cases to avoid errors.

Regards,
Curtis Gedak
(Maintainer of GParted)