[dm-devel] Improving dm-mirror as a final year project

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 21:02:04 UTC 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 4:49 AM, Miklos Vajna wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 06:12:19PM +0100, Miklos Vajna
> <vmiklos at ulx.hu> wrote:
>>> The basic component that covers RAID456 is available upstream, as
>>> you
>>> saw.  I have an additional set of ~12 (reasonably small) patches
>>> that
>>> add RAID1 and superblock/bitmap support.  These patches are not yet
>>> upstream nor are they in any RHEL product.
>>
>> Then what is the recommended platform to hack dm-raid? I have RHEL6
>> at
>> the moment. Is it OK to try to cherry-pick the single commit from
>> upstream + apply your patches or is it better to install rawhide
>> where
>> the kernel is already 2.6.38rc5 (as far as I see) and only apply your
>> patches there?

I tend to use RHEL6 + the latest upstream kernel.  I would /not/
cherry-pick the upstream dm-raid patch and then add my next set - you
might miss some other valuable MD patches (there have been a couple).

>>> For convenience, I've attached the patches I'm working on (quilt
>>> directory) and the latest gime_raid.pl script.
>
> I tried these on Fedora 15 with mixed results.
>
> I prepared a kernel source tree:
>
> ----
> $ wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/15/source/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.38-0.rc4.git0.2.fc15.src.rpm

Please use upstream (kernel.org) kernel.

Contact me with any trouble.

  brassow