Re: [dm-devel] Improving dm-mirror as a final year project

On Feb 17, 2011, at 4:49 AM, Miklos Vajna wrote:

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 06:12:19PM +0100, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos ulx hu> wrote:
The basic component that covers RAID456 is available upstream, as you saw. I have an additional set of ~12 (reasonably small) patches that
add RAID1 and superblock/bitmap support.  These patches are not yet
upstream nor are they in any RHEL product.

Then what is the recommended platform to hack dm-raid? I have RHEL6 at
the moment. Is it OK to try to cherry-pick the single commit from
upstream + apply your patches or is it better to install rawhide where
the kernel is already 2.6.38rc5 (as far as I see) and only apply your
patches there?

I tend to use RHEL6 + the latest upstream kernel. I would /not/ cherry-pick the upstream dm-raid patch and then add my next set - you might miss some other valuable MD patches (there have been a couple).

For convenience, I've attached the patches I'm working on (quilt
directory) and the latest gime_raid.pl script.

I tried these on Fedora 15 with mixed results.

I prepared a kernel source tree:

----
$ wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/15/source/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.38-0.rc4.git0.2.fc15.src.rpm

Please use upstream (kernel.org) kernel.

Contact me with any trouble.

 brassow