[dm-devel] multipath: change the DEFAULT_MINIO for the request based multipath

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 14:12:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21 2011 at  3:47am -0500,
Christophe Varoqui <christophe.varoqui at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Fortunately, the target version of multipath was also bumped
> > in 2.6.31, from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0 by this commit:
> >
> > af4874e v2.6.31-rc1 dm target:s introduce iterate devices fn
> >
> Fortunate indeed.
>
> Should the 'minio' be a tunable in the request-based multipath context,
> or should we hardcode its value to '1' ?

As my earlier response indicated: I'm not convinced _always_ using 1 for
request-based is appropriate/best.

> If we keep it a tunable, I guess we'll have to introduce a different
> 'minio' configuration parameter ('rr_min_io_rq' for example) to permit
> vendors to set their defaults for distributions shipping a rq-capable
> kernel or not. This change would be pretty invasive.

I'm not following why we'd need a different configuration parameter.
It is just that the default rr_min_io that would be used would be
conditional on the multipath target version being >= 1.1.0.

Mike