[dm-devel] generic wrappers for multi-device FS operations

Ric Wheeler ricwheeler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:13:51 UTC 2011

On 03/08/2011 01:05 PM, Wendy Cheng wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 12:04:25PM -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>>> To make this trivial to do for users, I think that it would be really
>>> nice to have a two-level wrappers for things like resize, add a volume,
>>> shrink, etc. Similar to the way we have mount or fsck invoke file system
>>> specific bits.
>>> Good idea? Bad idea?
> So the "resize" is on the filesystem, not the volume ? The "grow" part
> is probably easy. Unfortunately, the "shrink" may not be easy for some
> of the filesystems:
>
> -- Wendy

I think any "standard" operation would be allowed to fail with "notsupported"
effectively. Shrink is definitely a challenge & even when it works, it often has
performance implications.

I think that adding support to fsadm might be the easy path forward, but we
would need to be able to do at least a handful of more advanced things (add a
whole device for example).

Ric