[dm-devel] [Lsf] Preliminary Agenda and Activities for LSF

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 18:45:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:10:18AM -0700, Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com wrote:

> [...]

Sounds like some user space daemon listening for these events and then
modifying cgroup throttling limits dynamically?

> > > 2) Interfaces for SCSI, Ethernet/*transport configuration parameters
> > floating around in sysfs, procfs. Architecting guidelines for accepting
> > patches for hybrid devices.
> > > 3) DM snapshot vs FS snapshots vs H/W snapshots. There is room for
> > all and they have to help each other
>
> For instance if you took a DM snapshot and the storage sent a check condition to the original dm device I am not sure if the DM snapshot would get one too..
>
> If you had a scenario of taking H/W snapshot of an entire pool and decide to delete the individual DM snapshots the H/W snapshot would be inconsistent.
>
> The blocks being managed by a DM-device would have moved (SCSI referrals). I believe Hannes is working on the referrals piece..
>
> > > 4) B/W control - VM->DM->Block->Ethernet->Switch->Storage. Pick your
> > subsystem and there are many non-cooperating B/W control constructs in
> > each subsystem.
> >
> > Above is pretty generic. Do you have specific needs/ideas/concerns?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vivek
> Yes.. if I limited by Ethernet b/w to 40% I don't need to limit I/O b/w via cgroups. Such bandwidth manipulations are network switch driven and cgroups never take care of these events from the Ethernet driver.

So if IO is going over network and actual bandwidth control is taking
place by throttling ethernet traffic then one does not have to specify
block cgroup throttling policy and hence no need for cgroups to be worried
about ethernet driver events?

I think I am missing something here.

Vivek