Re: [dm-devel] [LSF/MM TOPIC] a few storage topics

On 12-01-24 12:59 PM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
"Mike" == Mike Snitzer<snitzer redhat com>  writes:

Mike>  1) expose WRITE SAME via higher level interface (ala
Mike>     sb_issue_discard) for more efficient zeroing on SCSI devices
Mike>     that support it

I actually thought I had submitted those patches as part of the thin
provisioning update. Looks like I held them back for some reason. I'll
check my notes to figure out why and get the kit merged forward ASAP!

Mike>  4) is anyone working on an interface to GET LBA STATUS?
Mike>     - Martin Petersen added GET LBA STATUS support to scsi_debug,
Mike>       but is there a vision for how tools (e.g. pvmove) could
Mike>       access such info in a uniform way across different vendors'
Mike>       storage?

I hadn't thought of that use case. Going to be a bit tricky given how
GET LBA STATUS works...

What's new in ACS-3 (t13.org ATA Command Set):
  f10138r6 Adds the ability for the device to return a
           list of the LBAs that are currently trimmed.

So it looks like t13.org are adding a GET LBA STATUS type facility.
That in turn should lead to a SAT-3 (SCSI to ATA Translation)
definition of a mapping between both facilities.

Doug Gilbert