Re: [dm-devel] Bcache upstreaming

(take 2 since linux-bcache rejected the mail due to HTML parts.. gmail's new interface is a dream ;)

Hey Kent,

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Kent Overstreet <koverstreet google com> wrote:

> I've (finally!) got a bcache branch hacked up that ought to be suitable
> to go upstream, possibly in staging initially.
>
> It's currently closer to the dev branch than the stable branch, plus
> some additional minor changes to make it all more self contained. The
> code has seen a decent amount of testing and I think it's in good shape,
> but I'd like it if it could see a bit more testing before I see about
> pushing it upstream.
>
> If anyone wants to try it out, checkout the bcache-for-staging branch.
> It's against Linux 3.7.

I pulled your 'bcache-for-staging' code into a 'dm-devel-cache-bcache' branch on my github:
https://github.com/snitm/linux

Purpose is to have a single kernel to compare dm-cache and bcache.  My branch is against 3.8-rc2.  While importing your code I needed the following change to get bcache to compile:
https://github.com/snitm/linux/commit/400b1257e93975864fd6c4b827537a0234551253

It now builds without issue but I haven't tested the resulting bcache to know if I broke the sysfs interface due to s/cache/bcache/ on some local variables, I don't think I did but I'll defer to you.  (BTW those crafty sysfs macros you have were pretty opaque; not really seeing what they buy in the grand scheme.  And #include "sysfs.c" is different than any code I've seen in the kernel).