[dm-devel] "create snapshots of any block device"

Hello,

I am a bit surprised to read this:
"Device-mapper allows you, without massive data copying:

*) To create snapshots of any block device [...]"

here:
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/snapshot.txt

Isn't that at least misleading? Is it really possible to create a snapshot of
e.g. /dev/sda5 without creating an *additional* device as snapshot origin?

I export LVs to a VM where they appear as regular disks so that I cannot use
LVMs snapshot integration. Thus I create a dm device with a linear mapping to
each of these disks and mount the dm device, not the disk.

I just had the idea to create these dm layer devices as snapshot-origins from
the start (instead of loading this target when a snapshot is really going to
be created). Is there anything to be said against this? Is there any reason at
all to use linear instead of snapshot-origin for devices with just one target
(except for possible confusion)?

Hauke
--
☺
PGP: 7D82 FB9F D25A 2CE4 5241 6C37 BF4B 8EEF 1A57 1DF5 (seit 2012-11-04)