[dm-devel] dm-integrity: integrity protection device-mapper target

Spelic spelic at shiftmail.org
Wed Jan 23 09:15:09 UTC 2013

On 01/23/13 02:29, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> I am thinking about possibly rewriting it so that it has two hashes
> per sector so that if either old or new data is read, at least one
> hash matches and it won't result in data corruption. Mikulas

Seems like a great idea, but have you thought that for it to work the
new hash block has to be written before the new data block?

A naiive implementation would send a stream of flush requests and
completely screw up the disk write cache...

It would be great if Linux could use ordered SCSI commands (that would
be a feature of the disk but only of SCSI ones AFAIK, correct me if I am
wrong) or had threaded I/O commands (that could be a feature of the
elevator methinks) so implement dependencies among write commands and
not completely screw up the disk cache like above. Is there any plan to
do that?