Re: [dm-devel] Chicken and egg problem with multipath-tools

On 03/04/2013 12:00 PM, Andrei B. wrote:

--- On Mon, 3/4/13, Hannes Reinecke <hare suse de> wrote:

From: Hannes Reinecke <hare suse de>

The problem is that multipathd wants to create a PID
file under /var (which is at this time readonly).
This fails and multipathd fails to start.
It took me a lot of testing and reboots until I managed
to determine this is the actual problem.

Hmm. Why? multipathd can happily live without a PID file;
SUSE has been doing this for years (for precisely the same
reason).
Check the SUSE init scripts.

Official (from author's website) multipath-tools contain a
> multipathd that has hardcoded PIDFILE location and there is
> no runtime option to change its location or disable it.
> Both manpage and source show this.
Maybe SUSE has a modified multipathd with added option to
> control PIDFILE creation.

multipathd/main.c:1996
        /* Startup complete, create logfile */
        pid_rc = pidfile_create(DEFAULT_PIDFILE, daemon_pid);
        /* Ignore errors, we can live without */

No option, but multipathd doesn't _need_ to create a pidfile.
And it certainly won't abort if it cannot create one.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare suse de			      +49 911 74053 688