[dm-devel] Clustered RAID1 performance

Hi all,

we see a significant performance hit when mirroring is used for a cLVM2
LV.

That's clearly due to the performance overhead of bouncing to user-space
(and worse, to the network) for locking etc.

I wonder if consideration has been given to how this could be improved?
Using the in-kernel DLM and holding locks for regions the local node
writes to for longer, exclusive locks while noone is reading,
parallelizing the resync ...? How is the long-term perspective for this
given the dm-raid/md raid stuff?

Before we go drafting I wanted to ask for ideas that are already
floating around ;-) Anyone working on this?

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer, HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)