[dm-devel] dm-crypt parallelization patches

Andi Kleen ak at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 3 20:07:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 03:06:03PM -0400, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> Hi Andi
>
> You wrote the original dm-crypt paralllelization patch (commit
> c029772125594e31eb1a5ad9e0913724ed9891f2). This patch improves
> parallelization, it makes data being encrypted on the same CPU that
> submitted the request.

The motivation for my patches was to make large systems with many
cores scale.

I think the motivation for yours is to make small systems without
hardware crypto offload slightly faster.

That's fine (although I suspect it's more and more obscure), as long as
you don't impact the large systems scalability.

Can you do some tests with a larger system with very parallel IO
(many CPUs submitting)  and see if the IO rate is equivalent?

If that's given the patches are ok for me.

-Andi