Re: [dm-devel] creating a dm-linear.ko in a current kernel.

Good Morning Bryn;

Thankyou!
From: Bryn M. Reeves [bmr redhat com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:53 AM
To: device-mapper development
Cc: John Utz
Subject: Re: [dm-devel] creating a dm-linear.ko in a current kernel.

On 02/24/2014 10:44 PM, John Utz wrote:
> Solved my own issue methinks, the name of the module that i am
> finding in drivers/md/ is linear.ko, not dm-linear.ko. that was

That's the MD linear personality not the device-mapper linear target. It
allows you to build JBOD (concatentation) arrays using the MD RAID
subsystem.

Could you briefly explain the concept of 'personality' in this context? I see it referred to but i have yet to find an explanation thereof. perhaps i have been looking in the wrong place.

I am also motivated by your response to see if i am barking up the wrong tree. :-)

I have a need to harness a hard drive like thing that can only be written to in linear fashion using device mapper.

I had assumed that i needed to start from the existing linear implementation that is in dm-linear.

Am I wrong and everything i need is already coded and i just need to create an appropriate configuration file of some kind?

Please advise when you get a chance.

Thankyou in advance.

johnu

<SNIP>