[dm-devel] How dm multipath handle IO

Hello Guys,

It's a general question about how dm and particularly multipathd handle IO? I mean, is it a transaction? Is each IO initiated from the OS get back an acknowledgement? If it is, is there a retry mechanism?
Or are the IO sent blindingly to the block device?

If someone have some good article on it, I would be very interested in understanding more deeply how IO are handled.

Thanks a lot,

--
Nicolas MICHEL