[dm-devel] multipath-0.5.0 still provides broken udev rules

Peter Volkov peter.volkov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:52:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 25.4.2016 14:10, Peter Volkov wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac at redhat.com
>> <mailto:zkabelac at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 25.4.2016 12:52, Peter Volkov wrote:
>>
>>         There is a problem: udev does not create partitions for multipath
>>         devices in
>>         case I use kpartx.rules provided with multipath sources. I found
>> that udev
>>         always go to kpartx_end after following line of rules:
>>         ENV{DM_TABLE_STATE}!="LIVE", GOTO="kpartx_end"
>>
>> Actually don't understand what's this table and what's wrong with that.
>> There
>> is no traces of DM_TABLE_STATE variable in lvm2 sources. Yet there is such
>> variable in udev rules file that comes with multipath sources:
>>
>> http://git.opensvc.com/gitweb.cgi?p=multipath-tools/.git;a=blob;f=kpartx/kpartx.rules;h=022361f907e873ac16fc75459b88af34b27576e5;hb=HEAD
>>

> So you would need to figure out which rules would have set  DM_TABLE_STATE
> before ?  (I assume such have never existed...)

There was a patch suggested for dmsetup:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2007-July/msg00095.html

So it's rather question for upstream kpartx maintainer why these rules
> are not maintained in any way.

Yup,  that's why I'm here.

kpartx rules comes from year 2007, while dm rules started to be maintained
> in 2009 - that may explain few things as well...

Then your suggestion is to fix udev rules that comes with multipath. Ok.

That's Gentoo. But I think any distro that uses whatever upstream prepares
>> have this problem.
>>

> Likely Gentoo should not install obsoleted udev rules file.

That's true. Yet I'm not talking about Gentoo here, but about config file
that comes with multipath sources and according to multipath homepage this
mailing list is a right place for such discussions. Please, correct me if
I'm wrong.

--
Peter.