[dm-devel] [4.4, 4.5, 4.6] Regression: encrypted swap (dm-crypt) freezes system while under memory pressure and swapping

Ondrej Kozina okozina at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 15:13:24 UTC 2016

On 04/27/2016 02:44 PM, Matthias Dahl wrote:
> Hello @all,
>
> since I haven't seen any replies to this so far, is there anything else
> I can do to help track this bug down?
>
> I have posted the original message to both the lkml as well as dm-devel
> lists, by the way, without much luck. ;-)
>
> Thanks in advance -- and sorry for kind of re-posting the issue.
>
> So long,
> Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I observe that putting swap on top of dm-crypt (tested in current 4.6-rc
kernel) have some unexpected side effects. Most notably it seems to me
that oom killer joins the party quite prematurely even when there
remains plenty of free swap space (almost all). But I didn't experience
any permanent system freeze or crash. Just, let us dig deeper for a while...

Thank you for the report!

O.