[dm-devel] 4.4-final: 28 bioset threads on small notebook

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Sat Feb 20 20:04:32 UTC 2016

Hi!

> > > Still there in 4.4-final.
> >
> > ...and still there in 4.5-rc4 :-(.
>
> You're directing this concern to the wrong person.
>
> I already told you DM is _not_ contributing any extra "bioset" threads
> (ever since commit dbba42d8a).

Well, sorry about that. Note that l-k is on the cc list, so hopefully
the right person sees it too.

Ok, let me check... it seems that
54efd50bfd873e2dbf784e0b21a8027ba4299a3e is responsible, thus Kent
Overstreet <kent.overstreet at gmail.com> is to blame.

Um, and you acked the patch, so you are partly responsible.

> But in general, these "bioset" threads are a side-effect of the
> late-bio-splitting support.  So is your position on it: "I don't like
> that feature if it comes at the expense of adding resources I can _see_
> for something I (naively?) view as useless"?

> Just seems... naive... but you could be trying to say something else
> entirely.

> Anyway, if you don't like something: understand why it is there and then
> try to fix it to your liking (without compromising why it was there to
> begin with).

Well, 28 kernel threads on a notebook is a bug, plain and simple. Do
you argue it is not?

Best regards,
									Pavel