[dm-devel] block: fix blk_queue_split() resource exhaustion

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 13:05:51 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 08 2016 at  8:52am -0400,
Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 07:08:32PM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> > > So after processing a particular bio, we should then process all the
> > > 'child' bios - bios send to underlying devices.  Then the 'sibling'
> > > bios, that were split off, and then any remaining parents and ancestors.
> >
> > IMHO, that is just what the oneline patch is doing, isn't it?
> >
> > | diff --git a/block/blk-core.c b/block/blk-core.c
> >  | index 2475b1c7..a5623f6 100644
> >  | --- a/block/blk-core.c
> >  | +++ b/block/blk-core.c
> >  | @@ -2048,7 +2048,7 @@ blk_qc_t generic_make_request(struct bio *bio)
> >  |       * should be added at the tail
> >  |       */
> >  |      if (current->bio_list) {
> >  | -            bio_list_add(current->bio_list, bio);
> >  | +            bio_list_add_head(current->bio_list, bio);
> >  |              goto out;
> >  |      }
>
> Almost, but not quite.
>
> As explained earlier, this will re-order.
> It will still process bios in "deepest level first" order,
> but it will process "sibling" bios in reverse submission order.
>
> Think "very large bio" submitted to a stripe set
> with small stripe width/stripe unit size.
>
> So I'd expect this to be a performance hit in some scenarios,
> unless the stack at some deeper level does back-merging in its elevator.
> (If some driver is not able to merge stuff because of "reverse submission
> order" this can easily mean saturating IOPS of the physical device with
> small requests, throttling bandwidth to a minimum.)
>
> That's why I mentioned it as "potential easy fix for the deadlock",
> but did not suggest it as the proper way to fix this.
>
> If however the powers that be decide that this was a non-issue,
> we could use it this way.

No, we cannot do this.  With blk-mq it doesn't have any of the more
elaborate IO scheduling that request_fn request_queues have.  We should
not be knowingly mangling the order of IO with the thought that some
other layer will fix it up.

I think it best for you to rebase your work (against jens' for-4.8/core)
into a single coherent patch and resubmit for 4.8 inclusion.  I really
don't see a huge benefit to keeping neilb's suggestion split out -- but
if you or others do that's fine.

The only concern I have relative to DM is: DM doesn't use
blk_queue_split, so will it need to open-code setting
recursion/remainder in order to ensure forward progress?  neilb seemed
to think the rework in generic_make_request would "just work" for the
dm-snapshot deadlock case though so maybe this isn't a valid
concern... unfortunately we don't have a quick reproducer for that
dm-snapshot issue so it'll take a bit to prove.

Mike