[dm-devel] What license is multipath-tools under

Xose Vazquez Perez xose.vazquez at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:19:47 UTC 2016

On 07/27/2016 12:42 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> I just ran some compliance tools on multipath and the results weren't very
> appealing in regard to licensing and copyright information.
>
> The standard COPYING file mentions LGPL v2.
> On the other hand, the majority of the source code has no license mentioned in
> its header. Some that do have, mention it as GPLv2, and some as GPLv2+

"No copyright" or "UNKNOWN" files should be covered by COPYING licence(LGPL v2).
Except:

kpartx/
It comes from partx(util-linux), and these files are under "GPL v2" or
"GPL v2 or later". Independent binary.

libmultipath/prioritizers/ontap.c
It's "GPL v2". But it's a plugin. ???

libmultipath/checkers/cciss_tur.c
Source says "GPL v2 or later", and:
/*
 *  This program originally derived from and inspired by
 *  Christophe Varoqui's tur.c, part of libchecker.
 */
At libmultipath/checkers/tur.c there is no licence, but it's derived from src/sg_turs.c
from sg3_utils. And this one is under "GPL v2 or later". But it's a plugin. ???

libmultipath/memory.c
libmultipath/memory.h
libmultipath/parser.c
libmultipath/parser.h
libmultipath/vector.c
libmultipath/vector.h
These comes from keepalived, and they are under "GPL v2 or later".

libmultipath/version.h:
"GPL v2 or later".

libmultipath/file.c
libmultipath/alias.c
Source says:
/*
 * significant parts of this file were taken from iscsi-bindings.c of the
 * linux-iscsi project.
And they are under "GPL v2 or later".

libmultipath/uevent.c
libmultipath/sysfs.c
These come from udev, and they are "GPL v2".

GPL code can not be mixed with LGPL code. So I guess libmultipath/ files are "GPL v2" ???

multipath/main.c
Under "GPL v2 or later". It's linked with libmultipath.so and libmpathcmd.so.