[dm-devel] What license is multipath-tools under

Thu Jul 28 17:26:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-07-28 at 22:23 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Thanks Xose, for digging this information. But shouldn't this
> information go into respective source files?

If there's a COPYING file, there's no need for individual files to have
a copyright.  The licence of the file defaults to whatever COPYING (or
LICENCE or some recognizable top level file says).  A significant
number of Linux Kernel files don't have individual file header copyrigh
ts, if you want an example of this.

> Recently, at Debconf, I came aware of Fossology [1]. It is a
> compliance tool for license, copyright and export control scans. I
> have spawned off a job [2] and am curious of the result. But looks
> like their server may be having a problem at the moment.
>
> But it is standard practise in most Free Software projects to define
> the licensing proper. And for a project with mixed licenses, it'd be
> best to have individual source files mention their license.

It may be a best practice and even practised by some projects, but if
Linux doesn't do it, it's hard to say it's standard practice.

James