[dm-devel] [BUG] BLKZEROOUT on dm-crypt container cause OOM / kernel panic

Tom Yan tom.ty89 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 09:57:08 UTC 2017

Hi again,

I think I have sort of identified the problem. It appears to me that both t=
he block layer and dm-crypt is defected on handling this.

First of all, check out the "fallback" zero out implementation, which is us=
ed in this case, here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/blo=
ck/blk-lib.c?h=3Dv4.12#n309

>From the outer loop, it seem to imply that this should be done in multiple =
"bio"s, if the request (original "nr_sects") is larger than BIO_MAX_PAGES:

while (nr_sects !=3D 0) {
    bio =3D next_bio(bio, min(nr_sects, (sector_t)BIO_MAX_PAGES),
            gfp_mask);
}

However, there is a inner loop:

    while (nr_sects !=3D 0) {
        sz =3D min((sector_t) PAGE_SIZE >> 9 , nr_sects);
        bi_size =3D bio_add_page(bio, ZERO_PAGE(0), sz << 9, 0);
        nr_sects -=3D bi_size >> 9;
        sector +=3D bi_size >> 9;
        if (bi_size < (sz << 9))
            break;
    }

which apparently would loop over the whole request on its own, making the o=
uter loop a bogus one.

The request ends up being done in a single (huge) bio. When the bio is pass=
ed on to dm-crypt, it appears that dm-crypt will not split the bio either w=
hen it allocates buffer for conversion/encryption:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/dri=
vers/md/dm-crypt.c?h=3Dv4.12#n1694

which leads to possible enormous uptake of memory, causing OOM / kernel pan=
ic.

There seems to be some measure that is suppose to split large bio though:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/dri=
vers/md/dm-crypt.c?h=3Dv4.12#n2787

Apparently it is called before kcryptd_crypt_write_convert() / crypt_alloc_=
buffer(). However, I don't really parse dm_accept_partial_bio() (or the com=
ment about it) so I don't really know what it actually does or how it does =
it. Neither can I see it helps in reality anyway.

Here is another test case that shows the problem:
https://ptpb.pw/BWWo.png
https://ptpb.pw/aRTE.png

Regards,
Tom Yan