[dm-devel] new patchset to eliminate DM's use of BIOSET_NEED_RESCUER

NeilBrown neilb at suse.com
Thu Nov 23 05:12:46 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 22 2017, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017, NeilBrown wrote:

>> > Suppose this scenario:
>> >
>> > * dm_wq_work calls __split_and_process_bio
>> > * __split_and_process_bio eventually reaches the function snapshot_map
>> > * snapshot_map attempts to take the snapshot lock
>> >
>> > * the snapshot lock could be released only if some bios submitted by the
>> > snapshot driver to the underlying device complete
>> > * the bios submitted to the underlying device were already offloaded by
>> > some other task and they are waiting on the list md->rescued
>> > * the bios waiting on md->rescued are not processed, because dm_wq_work is
>> > blocked in snapshot_map (called from __split_and_process_bio)
>>
>> Yes, I think you are right.
>>
>> I think the solution is to get rid of the dm_offload() infrastructure
>> and make it not necessary.
>> i.e. discard my patches
>>     dm: prepare to discontinue use of BIOSET_NEED_RESCUER
>> and
>>     dm: revise 'rescue' strategy for bio-based bioset allocations
>>
>> And build on "dm: ensure bio submission follows a depth-first tree walk"
>> which was written after those and already makes dm_offload() less
>> important.
>>
>> Since that "depth-first" patch, every request to the dm device, after
>> the initial splitting, allocates just one dm_target_io structure, and
>> makes just one __map_bio() call, and so will behave exactly the way
>> generic_make_request() expects and copes with - thus avoiding awkward
>> dependencies and deadlocks.  Except....
>>
>> a/ If any target defines ->num_write_bios() to return >1,
>>    __clone_and_map_data_bio() will make multiple calls to alloc_tio()
>>    and __map_bio(), which might need rescuing.
>>    But no target defines num_write_bios, and none have since it was
>>    removed from dm-cache 4.5 years ago.
>>    Can we discard num_write_bios??
>>
>> b/ If any target sets any of num_{flush,discard,write_same,write_zeroes}_bios
>>    to a value > 1, then __send_duplicate_bios() will also make multiple
>>    calls to alloc_tio() and __map_bio().
>>    Some do.
>>      dm-cache-target:  flush=2
>>      dm-snap: flush=2
>>      dm-stripe: discard, write_same, write_zeroes all set to 'stripes'.
>>
>> These will only be a problem if the second (or subsequent) alloc_tio()
>> blocks waiting for an earlier allocation to complete.  This will only
>> be a problem if multiple threads are each trying to allocate multiple
>> dm_target_io from the same bioset at the same time.
>> This is rare and should be easier to address than the current
>> dm_offload() approach.
>> One possibility would be to copy the approach taken by
>> crypt_alloc_buffer() which needs to allocate multiple entries from a
>> mempool.
>> It first tries the with GFP_NOWAIT.  If that fails it take a mutex and
>> tries with GFP_NOIO.  This mean only one thread will try to allocate
>> multiple bios at once, so there can be no deadlock.
>>
>> Below are two RFC patches.  The first removes num_write_bios.
> [...]

Yes, you are right something like that would be better.
Also send_changing_extent_only allocates bios in a loop which can cause
problems.
I think we need to get __split_and_process_non_flush(), in all its
branches, to check if len is too large for a single request, and if it
is, create a clone for the prefix, attached that to the ci and map it,
advance the original bio, and call generic_make_request on it.
That shouldn't be too hard, but it is a change that would touch a few
places.

I'll see if I can write something.

Thanks,
NeilBrown