[drools-research] deploy drools ruleset at runtime

bengen bengen at connecture.com
Mon Apr 23 19:59:45 UTC 2012

Hello all - first time poster here.  I hope this is in the proper forum...

My company has charged me with the task of building a rules engine from
scratch.  Yes, I think this is insane.  Yes I am fighting to use Drools.
I'm hoping you guys can help me with some ammunition.

Our main use case that the suits are hung up on is the ability for end users
(not consumers, but typically some admin managing the implementation of our
product) to dynamically perform CRUD commands on their rules and then
"deploy" that rule set at runtime without needing to restart the deployed
application.  I found
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9422106/drools-ability-to-define-rules-at-runtime
this post  on stack overflow that says this is possible, but I'd like more
information on this.

Could this end-user rules management be done through Guvnor?
Can Guvnor manage this runtime rules deployment?
Can we configure out application to just pick up the most recent published
ruleset?

I'd appreciate any input here, as I am NOT a fan of re-inventing wheels.

Thanks a million,
-Brian