Re: kernel building from .src.rpm?

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, E nigma wrote:

> > Indeed, but if you've already got the src.rpm, then -ba will waste time
> > rebuilding it.  Better not to risk corruption of the src.rpm's by using
> > '-bb' to only "build binary" packages.
>
> -ba is right if you want a src.rpm you can build as below.

I know that.  I said, "if you've already got the src.rpm, then -ba will
waste time rebuilding it."  Using the -bb flag avoids building a src.rpm
when you already have one, and avoids any possible problems that might
arise from over writing the original.  This is particularly good practice
when you make a modification to a package and rebuild it, as loosing the
original may make it more difficult to recover from a mistake.

> You don't really have to put the original in the direcory that rpm
> uses for the one it creates.

No, I didn't say that you had to.  However, if you -bs to make sure that
the source package builds correctly (or whatever), that's where the
src.rpm will be.  Once you have the src.rpm, using --rebuild will make
sure that the SOURCES directory is clean post-build.

--
If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
	I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob