Re: downgrading to ext2 filesystem

Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

I need to run custom 2.2 kernels on a computer currently running RH7.2
system (with 2.4.9-31) with ext3 on all partitions. Actually, I need
to switch between 2.4 and 2.2 from time to time. How can I revert to
ext2 to boot 2.2 (and 2.4 intermittently)? Would

tune2fs -O ^has_journal

do the trick? If yes, do I need to run ext2fs after that?

How hairy is it? Of course I have backup, but I wouldn't like to run
commands that will corrupt my filesystems with non-zero probability.

Thanks,

ext3 is backwards compatible with ext2, thus you should be able to simply change fstab, replacing ext3 with ext2 (or vice versa). You can convince yourself that this works by unmounting one directory, change the entry in fstab, and then `mount -a`. Stress the directory to make sure that everything works, and then unmount it and change it back to ext3.

Forrest