Re: Red Hat for old 486 PC

> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 12:51:04 at 12:51:04PM -0300, Matthew Doak wrote:
> > > I have an old 486 computer that I picked up for a few bucks. It has
> a 200 Mb
> > > hard drive, 8 Mb memory, and no math co-processor. Stop laughing. I
> know red
> > > hat won't work on it, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux
> that
> > > will run with no math co-processor and fit on a 200 mb hard drive.
> Thanks in
> > > advance for your help.

Years ago I ran Redhat 5.0 and 5.2 on an old home-built 486 of mine (originally with 8mb then later
upgraded to 30mb and XFree86 ran too), until the power supply failed.  Was very stable.
Then I aquired a  P/60 running Redhat 6.0 plus patches which I run as a fw.  It runs like
an appliance, set and forget - up for near 200 days before last power down.  Sometimes it
helps to keep all those old CD's on hand ;-)    But you'd probably be better
off obtaining a stripped down pentium pc and using v7.2 and do a iptables fw rather than older
ipchains,though that does run well.  Can also do a RH 7.2 Piranha load balancer to multiple
fw's (See <http://peterbaitz.com/lvs.html>  )

Peter